
Rumors say GLA is on the chopping block, although Mercedes denies the report

- Mercedes is reportedly considering abandoning some entry-level models in the United States due to tariffs.
- A spokesman for the company denied the report, which indicated that the GLA could be on the chopping block.
- The GLA starts at $43,000, and up to $53,750 if the company passes tariff costs to consumers.
On April 2, the United States will crack down on imported vehicles with 25% tariffs, and automakers are fighting for a response. Some seem to be considering drastic changes, including the removal of certain models altogether.
According to Bloomberg, Mercedes is considering eliminating the most affordable vehicles in the United States because they will become “economicly unviable” due to tariffs. The final decision has not been made yet, but the GLA is said to be on the chopping block.
More: Mercedes teases the next GLA, GLB and CLA shooting brakes
The crossover starts at $43,000 and is made in Rastatt, Germany. This means that when tariffs are included, the price may increase to $53,750. It is also worth noting that Mercedes has ridiculed the next generation of crossovers, and the current model is not a huge seller. In 2024, Americans only snapped up 19,079 units.

It’s not clear what other entry-level models might be on the chopper block, but it’ll be interesting to see if the US will get a new CLA. The redesigned sedan was launched earlier this month and will offer hybrid and powertrains. The latter offers 349 hp (260 kW/354 ps) and 380 lb-ft (515 nm) of torque and a WLTP range up to 492 miles (792 km).
GLB may also be in trouble, but it is made in Mexico, which may affect things depending on how you tariff. But, like the GLA, current models should be redesigned, so early death in the United States is not the worst thing in the world.
Still, a Mercedes spokesman denied the report by email to Reuters. In it, they said that the Bloomberg story “has no good” because “Mercedes-Benz continues to seek sales growth for its highly desirable vehicles.”
Although the future is unclear, this is not the first time that Mercedes has dropped an entry-level vehicle in the United States. The 2022 model year is the last of the A-Class sedan, which sits at the bottom of the lineup, but isn’t a strong seller.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.